What is Hybrid Car? - Types, Advantages and Disadvantages
Hybrid vs Petrol and Diesel Cars in India - Pros and Cons
What is a Hybrid Car and How Does it Work?
As the name says the term Hybrid means that it is a combination of petrol and an electric motor or in some countries, there is also diesel and electric. Mostly we have seen a combination of petrol and electric with the Toyota Prius being an example.
What are the Types of Hybrid Cars?
Full Hybrid - This does not need any recharging and it is charged by the petrol engine. In a full hybrid you can drive upto certain speeds in electric power and then switch to petrol power but you can also drive in only petrol power.
Mild Hybrid - A mild hybrid is a car where both the electric motor and the engines work together but never in isolation. This is more affordable form of hybrid.
Plug-in Hybrid - You need to plug the car in to charge but also like a full hybrid you can run it in electric-only mode.
Smart Hybrid - Smart hybrid is the least expensive form of hybrid and not a proper hybrid but here it gets a battery pack and integrated starter generator. It helps the engine get the best efficiency.
What are the Advantages and Disadvantages of a Hybrid?
- Hybrid is much better for the environment as they use less fuel plus are greener which makes driving one feel good.
- Hybrid cars offer better mileage as compared to Petrol cars.
- They are cheaper than full electric cars and that goes a long way in helping people adapt to this technology.
- The hybrid is a lot more practical than the electric car as you get a petrol engine to rely on when you run out of juice, unlike an EV.
- You also do not have to charge (except a plug-in) and mess with cables or charging.
- They are not as green or as environmentally friendly as fully electric cars.
- Hybrids are still expensive over conventional petrol cars so the savings in fuel will be used over with the extra price of the car.
- They are not exempt from tax benefits which are given to Electric cars and that is a big disadvantage.
- They are also complex and not easy to get serviced or maintained.
How Far I Can Drive a Hybrid Car?
That depends on that car but all full hybrids have a short EV-only range where you move in electrical power only and that is for a few km only. Rest you then drive with the petrol engine and that is the usual range with the fuel tank.
What Happens if My Hybrid Car Runs Out of Battery Power?
You then switch to petrol engine power and you will be notified of this. You can easily drive with a petrol engine.
How Long do a Hybrid Car’s Batteries Last?
Batteries normally have an 8year battery warranty but we have seen hybrids been driven longer and regular use cars have seen kms well above 1.7 lakh km for battery use. Hence they will mostly last for a car owner's typical life-cycle along with the car's life.
Are Hybrid Cars Available in India?
Toyota sells the Camry Hybrid which is a full hybrid while you can smart hybrids like the Toyota Glanza and Maruti Ciaz. In the luxury space, you have the Lexus ES, LS, NX and RX which are full hybrids.
Explore MYNEWCAR.in. We are an online marketplace which simplifies the car buying process by providing a transparent, convenient & safe purchasing experience. You can get Brand neutral expert advice, Search Cars, Compare Cars Online, Book a Door-step Test Drive with a click, Get On-Road Price, Offers & Discounts and Book your new Car Online.
We also bring Latest Automobile News for our readers including Buying Advice, New Car Launch Updates, Car Offers, Reviews and much more. Not just that, MYNEWCAR.in also provides you with car maintenance tips and car driving tips for your car.
Now you can also sign up for new offer notifications and daily car related updates.
LEAVE A COMMENT